Expanding – are you the next member of our team?
There is a vacancy for an enthusiastic meteorologist to join our consultancy firm, Lake Street Consulting, whose aim is to help clients work with the weather. Currently most of our client work is in the energy and agriculture sectors. We have too many ideas for the existing team to action, so there is a vacancy for a 12 month fixed term appointment.
You will initially consolidate existing code, which will facilitate familiarity with our structure, systems and culture. Then comes the major part of the project: create a set of related client forecasts. Your time will be divided between researching potential improvements, (IT and meteorological) problem solving, and writing the relevant code. You are proactive, and will enjoy working both independently and as part of a team, with some flexibility to choose how to approach tasks within set timeframes. Once you develop sufficient ability to formulate and communicate forecasts (and the related uncertainties) to clients, operational forecasting will be one of your responsibilities.
This role is suitable as a first job for a graduate meteorologist, or for a more experienced meteorologist looking for an exciting opportunity to work with end users. The position will start in September 2019. Whilst envisaged as a full time position, for the right candidate a slightly shorter work week may be possible: the ability to work full shifts remains a requirement.
- have an undergraduate, or higher, degree in meteorology or a related quantitative discipline.
- have strong IT skills including:
- an ability to work with GRIB and NetCDF files,
- experience writing code in Python,
- experience working on Linux platforms, and
- a basic understanding of Windows.
- be able to work full shifts including early mornings, late evenings and some weekends (e.g. 6am – 2pm, 2-10pm), with client requests sometimes necessitating longer hours.
- communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- enjoy a mix of working independently and as a team player, be pro-active and enjoy taking the initiative.
- be willing to travel, both to meet clients and to conferences.
- take pride in your work.
Experience in any / all of the following would be an advantage: running limited area models (e.g. WRF), systems maintenance experience, writing apps, writing in other coding languages (e.g. VBA), and French and/or Italian (written and/or spoken).
Location: Oxfordshire, UK.
To apply, please send your Curriculum Vitae and a covering letter outlining salary expectations and availability to email@example.com All applications received by March 31st 2019 will be considered.
Lake Street Consulting is an equal opportunities employer.